Everyone wishes for a bright and pearly smile. When some factors lead to discolouration of the teeth, it is natural to want to remedy that. But several people opt to administer this treatment themselves, unaware of the potential risks associated with doing so.
While undertaking teeth whitening on your own can seem more affordable and convenient, it can have several side effects that will lead to unhealthy oral conditions.
What is At-Home Teeth Whitening
To whiten or brighten teeth using products as well as methods that may be employed in the convenience of one’s home is known as at-home teeth whitening. The use of over-the-counter whitening kits, strips, gels, trays, or toothpaste are common ways to do this.
Bleaching chemicals, including hydrogen peroxide or carbamide peroxide, are frequently included in at-home teeth-whitening treatments. These agents assist in removing surface stains and lightening the colour of teeth. Depending on the substance, these substances can be placed directly on the teeth and kept in place for a predetermined amount of time, which is often between a few minutes and several hours.
Risks Associated with At-Home Teeth Whitening
Though cosmetic services are beneficial in a number of ways, just like any process, there may be risks involved that people should be familiar with, including:
- Gum Irritation: At-home teeth whitening products can sometimes cause gum irritation or inflammation if they come into contact with the gums. This can lead to discomfort, redness, or even soreness in the gum tissues.
- Loss of Tooth Enamel: Overuse or misuse of whitening products may result in the erosion of tooth enamel, which is the protective outer layer of the teeth. This can weaken the teeth and increase the risk of dental issues such as tooth sensitivity and cavities.
- Increased Tooth Sensitivity: Teeth whitening products, especially those containing bleaching agents, can cause temporary tooth sensitivity. This can manifest as a heightened response to hot or cold temperatures, sweets, or even brushing. The sensitivity usually subsides after the whitening treatment is completed, but it can be uncomfortable for some individuals.
- Uneven Whitening: Achieving consistent and even whitening results with at-home products can be challenging. The bleaching agents may not be evenly applied or may not fully reach all areas of the teeth, leading to variations in tooth colour. This can result in a patchy or uneven appearance of the teeth.
- Wasting Time and Money: At-home teeth whitening products can be costly, and if they do not provide the desired results, it may feel like a waste of time and money. Additionally, if the products are not used correctly or if the desired whitening effect is not achieved, individuals may end up seeking professional dental treatments, leading to additional expenses.
It’s important to consider these potential risk factors before purchasing at-home teeth whitening products. If you have concerns or want more significant results, consulting with a dentist in Malton can help determine the most suitable whitening options for your specific needs, ensuring safety and optimal outcomes.
Consider Professional Teeth Whitening
Professional whitening refers to teeth whitening measures carried out in a dental clinic by dental specialists. To get prominent and long-lasting effects, it makes use of harder whitening substances and cutting-edge treatments The following are some justifications for thinking about professional teeth whitening near you:
- Customized treatment for individual needs.
- Use of stronger whitening agents for effective results.
- Treatment is performed in a controlled and safe environment.
- Achieve consistent and even whitening results.
- Minimize tooth sensitivity during and after the treatment.
- Longer-lasting effects compared to at-home products.
- Professional guidance and support throughout the process.
Professional teeth whitening in Malton at Brandon Gate Dental Care offers personalized, powerful, and long-lasting results in a safe and controlled environment with expert guidance. Call or walk in today to experience amazing oral healthcare!